2 August 2019

LETTERS FROM THE EDITORS: SIT DOWN, CHECK IN, AND CHAT

Letter From The Editor | Jordan Fee and Alexandra Forand


Hello Musing readers! As summer is coming to an end we thought, as your editors-in-chief, that we would sit down, check in, and chat about the insightful writings by our amazing contributing editors this past summer.

Your trusty editors-in-chief, Jordan Fee (Top) and Ally Forand (bottom). Photographs curtesy of Jordan Fee and Ally Forand. 


Jordan: How was your summer, Ally?

Ally: It’s been really good! This summer I was working in the collections department at the Western Development Museum in Saskatoon (SK), so I really enjoyed reading Defne’s Collections Corner, especially her latest article exploring how to identify objects that have spookily little information about them. I also did a brief stint setting up for an exhibition which required putting textiles on mannequins. I  didn't know how important mannequins were in exhibits until I read Enya's article. I also gained a lot of practical information from Samantha's latest article, in which she sits down with Tazim Hirji of the Aga Khan Museum. How was your internship?
Left: Image Courtesy of Defe Inceoglu // Right: Antique Decorations Inside a Historic Building in Shantytown (Source)

Jordan: My internship has been fantastic! I’ve been working in tandem with the publications department and the curatorial department at the Art Gallery of Ontario, helping to develop an exhibition that will open next year. However, I think I’ve gotten just as much enjoyment from reading about some of the other internships that Museum Studies students have been engaged in over the past three months - just knowing that one of our colleagues is in Naples helping to refine archival practices on an archaeological dig makes me very happy! In fact, it seems like road trips have been somewhat of an unexpected theme for Musings this summer. Michelle and Caroline stopped in for a special post about their road trip through Canada, and more recently, Amy wrote about the incredible experience that she had at Museum Queeries in Winnipeg! I can’t express in words how lucky we are to have such great colleagues and friends.


Members of Museum Queeries at the Manitoba Museum being shown pelts and animal remains. Photo courtesy of Lauren Bosc.

Centre of Canada, MB. Photo Courtesy of Michelle Wright.


Ally: The roles that are being filled by MMSt students and graduates are so varied and exciting. I felt Elizabeth’s Alumni Check-in really underscored the opportunities available. But besides your internship, how was your summer?



Jordan: I completely agree; it’s always so nice to read about Museum Studies alumni and the exciting projects that they’ve been working on. I have to say that this summer, for me, has been one of the best in recent memory. Aside from working at the AGO, I’ve cooked dinner for friends, travelled to some beautiful farms, and drank some great wine with my co-intern Erin Stodola, who was featured in the first of Joanna’s Internship Check-In’s. To finish it all off, I’ll be travelling to Berlin in August to see my friend get married. I couldn’t be more excited! How has your summer been, Ally?

Photograph courtesy of Jordan Fee

Ally: That all sounds so exciting, I especially liked reading about your trip to the farm where you explored the different types of pigs and the intangible heritage they represent! This summer I tried to get out of the city as much as possible and explore places I had not seen before. This explorational spirit also inspired some of my own articles, especially when I found material culture in the wilderness! Luckily, I was fully prepared after taking all three of Selin’s Cultural Heritage quizzes!

Jordan: I suppose that “exploration” could be another one of our running themes. My belief is that the best writing comes from experience, and it certainly shows in all of the articles that you’ve produced this summer. I found your most recent article to be extremely powerful, and I was also happy to see that you had written a second part of Bringing Back the Buffalo! Now I just can’t wait until school starts again so that we can once again have Musings running at full speed.

(Source)

Ally: All-in-all, it's been great summer! I’ll have to review Emma’s articles for tips and tricks for grad school to get focused for the Fall.



Jordan: But not before a much needed break in August! To prepare for the Fall, Musings will be taking a short hiatus for the month of August. During this time, I encourage all of you to relax and unwind a little before the school year begins. You all deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.