BY: BRENNA PLADSEN
I was researching vintage lingerie patterns (another story for another entry) when I stumbled across a 2½ hour pattern on Pinterest. It has been separated from its original citation but looks like a spread from a sewing magazine from the mid-20th century. Anya mentioned free patterns like this briefly in a Sew What? post earlier this year, and here I am, proving her point that “easy” patterns require skills that have become uncommon! As with all two hour patterns, this claim is a lie. But the primary reason the time allotment is a lie is because I am a terrible drafter. If you squint at the image, you can see it’s a single size pattern, and the reader gets to make the necessary adjustments to made it actually fit. This did not happen in my case.
|1950's Beach Set Sewing pattern. |
There are three other series if anyone else wants to try! Source
It was supposed to be simple, just put in the darts, fold over the facings, and sew up the top seam. Turns out I over-compensated for most of the measurements, the cat ran through my cutting layout, and I attached the top seam improperly. While the original construction took ~4 hours, it languished in my closet until I asked my mother for help. She nipped and tucked a few places and together, we found a “vintage-inspired” look that is more 60s than the original 50’s but I’ll take it.
|Final product in action. Photo by author|
If anyone can figure out fix the neckline please tell me.
The second easiest thing I could have done was close the door and kept the cat away from everything.
|Yes I am reusing this photo of my cat tearing my pattern pieces. |
She also chases my bias tape and sleeps on drafting paper. Photo by author.