14 October 2016

ALUMNI CHECK-IN

ALUMNI CHECK-IN

BY: KATE SEALLY

Welcome to this brand new Musings column! The inspiration for this column struck me when I was sitting in on a meeting discussing how the iSchool has trouble staying in touch with their alumni. I thought, what better way to get back in touch with alumni than to feature them in a Musings column?!

This first column will be an introduction to some of the MMSt alumni that are out there making us proud. In the upcoming installments, I will be speaking to alumni and picking their brains about how they got where they are today. 

While I can be a little bit of a luddite when it comes to technology, I did figure out how to create a map with Google where I could ‘pin’ alumni based on their current work location. Check out the map below, or at this link. I will continue to update this map throughout the year, as I meet and discover new alumni. And if you know any alumni, please let me know so I can add them to the map!




As you can see, our alumni are spread across Canada, the U.S., and even the world. They are also working in a diversity of fields – some are in museums, but many are in the broader field of arts, culture, and heritage.

Jason Harvey (MMSt 2012). Source.
What’s incredible about our program is that it provides us with skills that are transferable to many different sectors and jobs. As you click through the alumni featured in the map, you'll see that they work as professors, collections managers, consultants, educators, executive directors, curators, and so many more.The possibilities really are endless!

In next month’s column we’ll be hearing from Jason Harvey (MMSt 2012), a grad who currently works at a national historic site in the City of Ottawa portfolio of museums.

In the meantime, check out all the alumni ‘pinned’ to the map, follow them (and me!) on Twitter, and let me know who else is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.