10 February 2017

ALUMNI CHECK-IN: AMANDA BURROWS

ALUMNI CHECK-IN

BY: KATE SEALLY

This week we are checking in with Amanda Burrows (aka @BurrowsAmanda on Twitter), who finished the MMSt program in 2008 and is now living in Vancouver. Comment down below with any additional questions for Amanda, and I will pass them on!

When did you graduate from the Master in Museum Studies program?

I graduated in 2008, and I was one of the first to finish after the program came to be under the umbrella of the Faculty of Information.

What did you enjoy most about the program?

My favourite and most rewarding experience while in the program was my internship. I was lucky enough to work in the Guggenheim’s human resources department. I helped out with the Young Patrons program and led workshops for other interns. This experience combined my background in human resources with museums. Beyond the internship, I also really liked the program’s combination of theory and practice. I learned some really important practical skills in the management course, for example, but I also wrestled with some interesting questions raised by the theories that support museum work. I was also extremely lucky to be taught by Cheryl Meszaros in my second year and she is a great advocate for the reconciliation of theory and practice.*

The Vancouver skyline. Source
Where are you now?

Nowadays I work in philanthropy and fundraising. I run my own company, Philanthropy Aide, and I also work as a fundraising trainer for Social Venture Partners.

How did you get there?

After graduating from the program, I got a job at the Art Gallery of Ontario. They had just re-opened after the Frank Gehry renovation and it was an exhilarating time to be there. Then I worked at the Vancouver Opera for six-and-a-half years, in their development department. While museums are my first love, it was also nice to be able to visit them once again as a visitor and not as a museum professional.

Is there anything you wish you had done while you were in the program or while you were in Toronto?

No.

Who would you like to see featured in this column next?

Diana McNally (MMSt ’08) and Monica Carota (MMSt ’08)

*Dr Meszaros sadly passed away in 2009.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Well that's it for this week, folks! If you missed my last post, check it out here. Thank you so much to Amanda for participating and I'll see you in a few weeks with my last Alumni Check-In of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.