15 February 2019

MAKING MUSINGS PART 2: STRENGTHENING A FOUNDATION, SHAPING A PROFESSIONAL TRAJECTORY

Letter from the Editor | Madeline Smolarz


This is the second post of a five part series in celebration of the Master of Museum Studies program at the University of Toronto's 50th anniversary (MMSt50). To reflect on Musings' past, present, and future, we invited all previous Editors-in-Chief to return to Musings to write special Letter from the Editor posts. These articles will highlight the significance of Musings both within the MMSt program, and for writers' professional careers. Madeline Smolarz was the second Editor-in-Chief of Musings from 2015-2016.

This is my 25th article for Musings, and quite likely my last for a long time.

I was a Musings’ contributing editor under the leadership of pioneering Editor in Chief (EiC) Jaime Clifton-Ross from 2014-2015 before becoming EiC of Musing myself from 2015-2016. I’m the second EiC to write a retrospective of my time with the blog in celebration of Musings’ 5 years of outstanding history, and I’m both thrilled and proud to have the privilege to return.

I knew I had massive, if not astronomical shoes to fill taking on this role following Jaime. You’ve already read her wonderful reflection piece, so you know what I’m talking about! Though altering the formula she had perfected in any way terrified me, the number of contributing editors grew and the number of columns we published did as well. As much as my contributors (patiently) allowed, I did my best to be an involved and supportive EiC. For example, my dear friend and Historic Kitchen writer Leah Moncada let me taste-test her cooking escapades, while another equally lovely friend and Sew What writer Anya Baker interviewed me for a piece discussing curating personal style.

L to R – Leah Moncada, Anya Baker, and Madeline Smolarz at the 2016 MMSt Year End Party hosted at Campbell House.
Photo courtesy of Madeline Smolarz.

As I cast my mind back to some of my other memorable moments of my time as EiC, my most ambitious blog post was definitely “3 Exhibitions In 1 Day, Brought To You By Canada’s National Museums.” I remember having this thought as I conceived of the trip from Toronto to Ottawa; as I sat on the train,; as I tromped around Ottawa in winter,; and as I wrote that beast of a post. No one else had ever written a review of three exhibitions at once, and as tricky as it was to bring all of those threads together at times, it was such a thrill of a challenge that I’d do it all over again!

Ottawa in the winter is no joke, but I would climb mountains of snow to spend a day in one of Canada’s national museums any time. Photo courtesy of Madeline Smolarz.
Musings has without a doubt positively impacted my professional life. Musings gave me the opportunity to transform my academic skills to writing and editing for the public about something I sincerely loved in an accessible, entertaining, and educational manner. I believe that every piece of writing I’ve produced since, from exhibition text to emails to colleagues, has been coloured by the way in which my Musings’ experience elevated my abilities. The social media skills I gained were also immensely useful. After completing the MMSt program, I started working at the Craigleith Heritage Depot, where I had to establish a media presence from scratch. I would’ve been overwhelmed if it wasn’t for my year overseeing the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages my predecessor Jaime had already established.


Above is the first of several posts I shared to Musings’ Instagram when I led the first live-gram session in its history during Nuit Blanche 2015.

I’ve since taken my writing and social media abilities to Ruthven Park National Historic Site - where I led nearly all communications as Operations Coordinator - and to the City of Kingston, where I currently work overseeing operations at three museums and historic sites. The portfolio of excellent writing that I cultivated, the skills that were fostered by my roles with Musings, and the passion for leadership that I developed have absolutely been a huge benefit and confidence-booster for me as I’ve pursued my career in Ontario’s museum world thus far.

Madeline Smolarz on the job at the City of Kingston’s MacLachlan Woodworking Museum in July 2018.
Photo courtesy of Francesca Pang.

As I can now not seem to live without blogging, I’m currently serving a three-year term (2016-2019) as the Communications Chair of the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) Committee; one of my responsibilities is overseeing the GOEMP Website’s Blog. At the time of writing this blog post, we’ve partnered with Fleming College’s Museum Management and Curatorship program to share 4 exceptional pieces of writing by current students on various museological topics. To borrow Marie Kondo’s phrase, it sparks joy in me to broadcast emerging museum professionals’ voices in this way, and I hope to continue to have a hand in it for many years to come in order to keep paying my experience forward.

L to R – Alison Ward, Lisa Terech, Diane Pellicone, Madeline Smolarz, and Will Hollingshead representing the 2016-2019 GOEMP Committee at the 2017 Ontario Museum Association Conference in Kingston, Ontario.
Photo courtesy of Lisa Terech.
I’d like to close with some thank yous, just like I did in my farewell blog post published on April 9, 2016.

Dr. Irina Mihalache: You are the ultimate champion of Musings, and the blog certainly wouldn’t be what it is now without your support. I will always consider you to be one of my most influential mentors. Thank you for your guidance.

Jaime Clifton-Ross: I wouldn’t be who I am today without the chance you gave me to write for Musings in 2014, and for your incredible friendship the past number of years. You are my sister in spirit and truly the patron saint of bloggers! Thank you for everything.

L to R – Madeline Smolarz and Jaime Clifton-Ross. Photo courtesy of Kellen Ross.
Musings’ Editors in Chief from 2016-2019: You folks are trailblazers, and I look at everything you’ve done for the blog with such happiness. Thank you for picking up the torch.

Till we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.