5 November 2019

(FUN)DRAISING RETROSPECTIVE: 1.5 YEARS OF INTERVIEWS

(Fun)draising | Samantha Summers


This is my penultimate column of 2019, and thus it marks 1.5 years of me writing the (Fun)draising column. Rather than feature another interview this month, I decided to sit back and reflect a bit on what I have learned about fundraising over the past 16 months. (Don’t worry, I have some amazing interviews lined up for later this month and for 2020.)

A quote adorns the wall of the Textile Museum's collection space. "Who is worthy of memory?" -Desmond Miller.
Photo courtesy of Samantha Summers.

I started (Fun)draising knowing nothing at all about the art of fundraising. In fact, I didn’t even realize I was interested in this field as a career. I went to my first Musings meeting, was told it was essentially the only column available, and so I took it. Knowing nothing about fundraising, I decided the best way to tackle this would be to feature the words of those who do know something about fundraising. Surely that would be a better use of readers’ time than the ramblings of someone who knew nothing about the field.


Armed with all of the confidence of someone who did not understand this field very well, I set out to meet with anyone and everyone who was involved in the financial side of museums. I sent emails with abandon. I have met with Executive Directors, COOs, Directors, curators, and even high-profile donors. I have met with people who, now that I understand the field better, I am shocked ever took the time to meet with me. Which brings me to the first thing I have learned about fundraising through writing this column: this is a field of incredibly friendly people. You cannot be successful in fundraising (or I think a more accurate term, development) unless you are excellent at meeting with people and building and maintaining relationships with them.

The Art Gallery of Hamilton in downtown Hamilton. (Source.)

I would characterize the average development professional as passionate, driven, and incredibly warm. They are all deeply invested in the educational and social programming at their institutions, and work hard to ensure that other departments have the support they need to achieve their goals. My favourite question to ask my interviewees is what they think is the most exciting thing achieved through fundraising since they joined their institutions. Almost every single person I have spoken to has discussed providing the support for educational programming, supporting marginalized communities, and supporting their institution’s involvement in the local community.

I have learned that the root of development work is education; teaching potential donors about the importance of the work your institution does and showing them how they can support that mission. This can take many forms, from throwing major events like galas to meeting with people for coffee and a chat. As an aside, if you hate coffee, this might not be the field for you.

Friday Night Live, an event hosted at the ROM in which the museum becomes a club. Drink and dance with your favourite dinos! Source.

I have learned a lot of practical things writing this column, like the ideal ratio of funding from various sources to which major corporations tend to support what kind of philanthropy (any literacy initiatives coming up? Talk to TD). I have learned tips for how to make “The Ask” (for money) to major donors and smaller donors alike. I have learned that the financial side of museums requires just as much passion and heart as the more artistic side.


I get the impression at the Faculty of Information that we prefer to avoid talking about the financial side of museums, or to think of them as less our business than what might be more cultural concerns. It isn’t easy to marry ambitions of social justice and curating conversations with the capitalist reality in which museums exist, so we tend to sweep those realities under the rug. While there is a half-year course offered about fundraising and project management, and the Ethics, Management, and Leadership course usually includes an assignment involving a spreadsheet, we really don’t talk about money in a practical way during our museum studies courses here. The overwhelming impression this gives is that we are museum professionals, interested in tough conversations and changing the world, and the money side of things will be sorted out by the cold capitalists working in accounting and development.

A gift of custom Caxton Cicero stationary given to donors who helped the Fisher purchase the Caxton. Photo courtesy of Samantha Summers.
I think that this is a grave injustice to the field of development. This is not only an important field and one that everybody working in museums should have some understanding of, but also one that engages with some of museology’s biggest questions today in a very unique way. I hope that my column has introduced readers to this fascinating field, challenged our understandings of development, and provided some insight into this extremely important aspect of running a museum.


Here’s to another 16 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.