10 April 2017

DOES ANYONE WANT TO SEE MY MASTER'S DEGREE?

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

BY: NATANIA SHERMAN

Seriously, though.
Well, we did it! In a few days, myself and about half of this year’s cohort of Musings contributors will become Masters of Museums. This means the end of my tenure as Musings Editor In Chief. No, these aren't tears...there's something in my eye. The past 12 months of my degree have flown by but I was glad to be able to have shared them with you.

...and I've been cutting onions, nothing to see here.
Being the face of Musings has been one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences of my graduate studies. When I started writing for the blog in 2015, with little museum experience, I did not how how important it would be for me as a student to have an outlet to explore my personal topics of interest in museum work, and to know that readers would respond with excitement to the things I had to say.
Myself at my internship with Art Museum at the University of Toronto (photo: Natania Sherman)

As Editor In Chief, my goal has been to make Musings an accessible space for MMSt students to write about the topics that they are passionate about. In doing so, I was also committed to continuing to build Musings community through social media posts and outreach to connect MMSt students to museum professionals. I could not have been more thrilled or surprised by the content that Musings contributors supplied in response. The quality of writing has elevated Musings from a student blog to a professional presence in our industry. Congratulations to Serena Ypelaar, Musings' New Editor In Chief. You are an amazing writer and I know that you will continue to make Musings a viable source of critical discussion in the museum field.

Before I leave, I would like to thank the Museum Studies and iSchool faculty and staff for supporting our work, promoting us and providing an academic environment for student projects to thrive. I am so proud of Musings' contributing editors for their hard work and commitment this past year and want to thank them for volunteering their time to the blog, even when they were busy with all of their coursework. And thank you to you, our readers, for continuing to follow, comment and support us along the way.

Raise a glass to all the MMSt'ers who are going to do great things this summer.
Finally I want to wish good luck to all of the first year students who will be doing internships this summer, and to all the graduating students who will be starting new jobs. I can’t wait to see what you accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.